Sunday, April 8, 2012

**Decorating Sugar Cookies**

Mmm! My favourite part of making sugar cookies is definitely the decorating! As a kid, I absolutely loved Christmas and decorating gingerbread cookies ... and I generally consumed as much icing as I actually put on the cookies. >.<  Thankfully, I've gotten a bit better about eating the icing the before it gets to its desired location (though not much). Here are the fruits of my labour today:

I made the icing by first squeezing the juice out of a small lemon, then adding icing sugar until I found the consistency I wanted. I rounded it of with some vanilla extract and a bit of a water to keep the icing smooth. If you add enough water, this icing can be super smooth and you can tap the cookie to make it flatten into a smooth surface. However, this icing will not hold it's shape, so there's not much point using fancy nibs on your piping bag.  As one would expect, an icing made from lemon juice has quite the tang to it. I found this works great with the sweet sugar cookie, but if you feel it might be too tangy, maybe use a tiny dash of lemon extract instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment